- Demonstrate an understanding of clinical prevention and population health for improving the nation's health (DNP Essential VII)
- Maintain vigilance and patient safety throughout the perianesthetic continuum.
- Protect patients from iatrogenic complications and utilizes appropriate precautions in infection control.
- Conduct a comprehensive and appropriate equipment check.
Individualized Perianesthetic Management
- Demonstrate an understanding of scientific underpinnings for practice (DNP Essential I)
- Demonstrate an understanding of clinical scholarship and analytical methods for evidence-based practice (DNP Essential III)
- Provide care throughout the perianesthetic continuum.
- Use a variety of current anesthesia techniques, agents, adjunctive drugs, and equipment while providing anesthesia.
- Provide anesthesia services to patients of all ages and physical conditions for a variety of surgical and medically related procedures, including trauma and emergency cases.
- Perform a pre-anesthetic assessment and formulates an anesthesia care plan for patient to whom he/she is assigned to administer anesthesia.
- Function collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team to affect patient outcomes.
- Deliver culturally competent perianesthetic care throughout the anesthesia experience.
- Identify and take appropriate action when confronted with anesthetic equipment-related malfunctions.
- Interpret and utilize data obtained from noninvasive and invasive monitoring modalities.
- Calculate, initiate, and manage fluid and blood component therapy.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to anesthetic complications that occur during the perianesthetic period.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information systems/technology and patient care technology for the improvement and transformation of health care (DNP Essential IV)
- Apply theory to practice in decision-making and problem solving.
- Provide nurse anesthesia care based on sound principles and research evidence.
- Critique and integrate scholarly research in order to improve anesthesia care and patient outcomes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of interprofessional collaboration for improving patient and population health outcomes (DNP Essential VI)
- Effectively communicate with all individuals influencing patient care.
- Utilize appropriate verbal, nonverbal, and written communication in the delivery of perianesthetic care.
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver a clear and organized public presentation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of organizational and systems leadership for quality improvement and systems thinking (DNP Essential II)
- Demonstrate an understanding of health care policy for advocacy in health care DNP Essential V)
- Demonstrate an understanding of advanced nursing practice (DNP Essential VIII)
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity.
- Demonstrates respect for human dignity to patients, peers, and organizations.
- Function as an advocate for patients, families and communities.
- Positively influence health care policy decision and participate in activities which influence advanced nursing roles and improve patient care.
- Understands sound principles of anesthesia risk management to include preventive and procedural strategies.
- Participate in quality management activities and operate with budget restraints and cost effectiveness.
The Essentials of Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice
Demonstrate an understanding of:
- Scientific underpinnings for practice
- Organizational and systems leadership for quality improvement and systems thinking
- Clinical scholarship and analytical methods for evidence-based practice
- Information systems/technology and patient care technology for the improvement and transformation of health care
- Health care policy for advocacy in health care
- Interprofessional collaboration for improving patient and population health outcomes
- Clinical prevention and population health for improving the nation's health
- Advanced nursing practice