Applicants must meet both CSUF University and SON graduate admission requirements as follows:
- Active, unrestricted Registered Nurse (RN) license with no disciplinary action pending (if licensed outside of California, must be qualified to become licensed by the state of California prior to starting the program in August).
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing (BSN) or Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum degree GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in the highest nursing degree earned (BSN or MSN).
- Prerequisite Course: Upper Division Statistics with a grade of C or better (can be pending or in progress at the time of application but must be completed prior to starting the program in August). For more information about this prerequisite, visit the SON Prerequisites web page.
- Minimum of one year of current, full-time clinical RN experience in Adult ICU. The Adult ICU requirement can be satisfied by working in any kind of Adult ICU environment, such as a Medical ICU, Surgical ICU, Coronary Care Unit, Trauma ICU, Cardiovascular ICU, Neuro ICU, Burn ICU, and CT ICU. The following experience is NOT considered adult critical care: emergency room, post anesthesia care unit, step down unit, cath lab.
Requirements for Admission to the University:
All applicants to the MSN Nurse Anesthesia program must have earned a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing (BSN) or a Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) from a regionally accredited college/university.
- Regional accrediting organizations include MSCHE, NEASC, NCA-HLC, SACS and WASC. Regional accreditation is granted to the university, not the nursing program. To verify the accreditation of your baccalaureate and master's degree granting university/college(s), visit the institution's website and/or search for the school on the regional accrediting organizations' websites.
- National accreditation alone is not sufficient.
Foreign degrees: If you completed your Baccalaureate and/or Master's degree outside of the United States, to verify if you meet the degree requirements for admission to the program prior to applying, you must have your transcripts/degree evaluated by a foreign transcript evaluation agency for equivalency to a Baccalaureate degree in the US, and for the conversion of your Grade Point Average (GPA) to a 4.0 scale.
TOEFL Requirement: All applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must demonstrate competence in English. Those who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a postsecondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must receive a minimum score of 550 (paper) or 80 (Internet-based text, iBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Computer-based TOEFL scores are not accepted. For IELTS language test, a minimally acceptable score for graduate nursing applicants is a 7.0.
If invited, applicants must also complete an in-person interview.
In order to be a competitive candidate for admission the following are suggested:
- BSN or MSN GPA 3.5 or greater
- 2-3 years of current Adult ICU experience
- A's in all undergraduate/graduate science courses
- Additional nursing experience in leadership (i.e. committee), education, or research
- Completion of advanced nursing certifications (i.e. CCRN, TNCC)
- Community Service
Application opens November 1 and closes November 30